Friday, December 18, 2009

15 months? Really?

Yes, it's true. Some might even say amazing. Jeff and I have managed to keep Harper alive and well for a whopping fifteen months. It feels like she just turned one, yet it also feels like eons ago. I suppose we are constantly so wrapped up in the moment with her that we can barely keep track of how much time has passed. If it weren't for this blog, I would have no way of remembering when she reached specific accomplishments. Maybe one of these days I'll transfer her history into her baby book... Oh, ha! I had to stop and laugh at that one. I made a funny. Like I'll ever get around to that! I'm lucky if I wash my hair every three days!

Ok, ok. On to the good stuff. The stuff that keeps you coming back, frothing at the mouth. No, but seriously, if any of you are frothing, you might want to see a doctor. It might be rabies. Or the rabies flu. I don't know if we have invented that one yet, but if not, you saw it here first, folks!

Harper went in today for her fifteen-month appointment, and she passed with flying colors. One of the questions the doc asked is if she can say three words? Are you kidding me? She was at three words ____ months ago (please insert appropriate age after you reference previous blog posts). I heard a dad at Harper's MDO Thanksgiving lunch brag that his son says twenty words. I went home that day and made a list. Well, I attempted to make a list. Harper interrupted me with her incessant babbling, and I gave up. So, I don't have a number to give you, but the kid talks. Quite a bit. Six words is the test for an eighteen-month old, so it looks like we're going to ace that one, too. I love when I know the questions on the test ahead of time!

Physically, all is well. Her weight came in at 21.6 lbs (25 percentile), and her height came in at 31.5in (80 percentile). I knew Jeff would be stoked to know that Harper is still considered tall. I think it gives him hope that there may still be a chance for him to have a late growth spurt! Personally, I don't mind being short. In fact, I always wished I had ended up about an inch or so shorter. It's probably a good thing I made it to 5'2" or Breyer might never have agreed to befriend me. She hates vertically challenged people - just ask her. If she denies the charge, I will provide names and examples.

Anyhoo! Things are looking good for Miss HP. We've been blessed with a wonderful kid, and I say that even after she prevented me from getting even one wink of sleep on Tuesday night. I told my friend, Storey, that I had intended to write a blog post bragging on how great Harper has been lately...and then she pulled that stunt. We'll blame it on incoming teeth and call it even!

But really, she has been doing so well lately. We moved her into her toddler bed over Thanksgiving. She L-O-V-E-S it. Wrigley loves it, too. I believe they have worked out some sort of time share agreement regarding which of them sleeps in the bed during which hours of the day. All I know is the bed is always warm! Early in the mornings, I slide Harper's door open just wide enough for her to slip out when she rouses. I think it is the cutest thing when she groggily walks into the kitchen and asks me for "juice."

We've been working hard lately on shapes, colors, and practicing as many words as possible. It's exhausting, but I know it's all for her benefit. We talk all day. I've always described and named objects to her, but now I have to make it a point to prompt her to repeat the words back to me. "Tud-dle" (turtle) is one of my favorites, but I only get to hear it during bathtime. "No" is my least favorite word, and that one can pop up at any ol' moment! Oh well, I'm happy as long as she is using words instead of communicating with whines and grunts!

Fifteen months down, and infinity to go. It won't all be easy, that much I know. There are moments when I get really, really, really frustrated with Harper, and then she turns around with her face super-scrunched up into a cheesy grin. She looks like she is Chinese, which is funny to you if you know me really well. I laugh, and then I remember to take a breath and let my frustrations go. There is just too much to enjoy with her in our lives!

Her hair is growing by the minute. Finally!!

Checking my blood pressure with her new doctor kit from the Coats' boys! Don't get any ideas, boys!!

Updating her Facebook status, of course.


Eating "rays" (raisins) - her favorite snack!

2 comments:

  1. Your Chinese ancestors would be proud :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Audrey is getting that sweater for christmas, good thing she isnt allowed to surf the web to spoil that surprise!

    ReplyDelete