Saturday, March 7, 2009

Lemme see ya wobble, wobble...

Harper can sit up! She is hanging out in her playpen right now with a box of blocks and at least seven pacifiers. The playpen now moonlights as the official pacifier storage facility--previously, I could never find one pacifier despite the fact that she owns a dozen or so of the silicon sanity-savers. The old invisible nook-and-cranny hiding spots weren't doing us any favors.

Excuse me a moment--she fell over. [Reposition Harper.] OK, we're back in business.

We've been practicing her sitting skills hardcore for the last couple of weeks. She preferred standing so much that I was afraid she would never have an interest in sitting. I warned her repeatedly that she absolutely had to learn how to sit. Imagine how tiring it would be to stand beside her desk at school all day. Dinner dates, movies? No way! She would only be able to ride around in convertibles, or possibly a Land Rover if she doesn't grow too tall.

Needless to say, it was imperative that she figure out how to sit up unassisted. She showed improvement this week, but I didn't think it was going to "click" anytime soon. I was on the verge of calling the photographer to postpone her six-month photo session, because I rrrrreally wanted pictures of Harper from a new angle! Time and time again, I propped Harper into the upright position only to watch her wobble-wobble (oooh, shake it, shake it!) for twenty seconds and then promptly fold herself in half.

Until today! It finally worked. Out of the blue, she sat up, much like the day she suddenly knew how to eat food from a spoon. (At this rate, she'll be ready to move into her own apartment by year's end!) She still has room to perfect her technique, but she sure can hold the position for a hell of a long time. She only falls when she attempts to reach for a toy beyond her grasp. Her rescue cry previously signaled the fact that she had stranded herself on her tummy without an escape route--now that very same distress signal translates to "get your butt over her ASAP and sit me back up!" Still ever so sweet, yet so demanding. ;) I hope it doesn't take her long to figure out how to get into a good sit on her own. Of course, we're already working on it!

Okay, I'm rambling now, so I'll do us all a favor and vamoose. Later, tater tots!






4 comments:

  1. Who loves those baby blues....

    I DO!!! I DOOO!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is more adorable every time I see a new pic! Good job sitting, Harper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good gosh she's so stinking cute and sweet! She just simply makes me smile when I see that face! Good genes Peels!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go HP! Mom is going to be running after you before you know it! She is such a doll! LOVE the pics.

    ReplyDelete